- Liver Qi Stagnation: bilateral hypochondriac pain, headache, vertigo, alternating fever and chills.
- Interior Heat: irritability, a shorter temper, red cheeks, and dysuria
- Yin and Blood Deficiencies: dry mouth and dry throat, dry eyes, spontaneous perspiration, night sweats
- Spleen Deficiency: lassitude/ fatigue and loss of appetite
- PMS or menstrual syndrome, and dysuria.
- Tongue Appearance: red dots in the liver area (one or both sides) OR thicker yellow tongue coating, often times in the middle or the rear of the tongue.
- Pulse Pattern: wiry pulse and deficient pulse
Anxiety, stress, neurasthenia, postmenopausal symptoms, affective/emotional disorders, and panic disorders, hepatitis, early stage of liver cirrhosis, hepatomegaly, stomatitis, IBS caused by stress, gingivitis, cystitis, urinary tract infection, PMS, menstrual disturbance, menstrual pain and cramps, female infertility, pelvic inflammatory disease, and fibrocystic breasts.1,2,3
Femalance (Jia Wei Xiao Yao Wan or Augmented Rambling Pills) treats Liver qi stagnation accompanied by interior heat and underlying blood and Spleen deficiencies. In cases when the interior qi and blood is deficient, especially Spleen, Liver qi stagnation turns into heat and fire.
Femalance is modified from Xiao Yao San (Rambling Powder) by including Mu Dan Pi and Zhi Zi in the formula to calm the interior heat arising from Spleen and blood deficiencies, as well as from Liver qi stagnation.
- Bensky D, Barolet R. Chinese Herbal Medicine: Formulas & Strategies (1990).
- Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China. Volume 1 (2005). Chinese Pharmacopoeia Commission. People Medical Publishing House. China.
- Chen JK, Chen TT. Chinese Herbal Formulas and Applications: Pharmacological Effects & Clinical Research (2009).
Ingredients (per capsule):
Jia Wei Xiao Yao Wan Extract 8:1..........375 mg
(equivalent to 3 g of dried crude ingredients)
Chai Hu (Bupleurum chinense) (root).....40.2 mg
Dang Gui (Angelica sinensis) (root)..... 40.2 mg
Chi Shao (Paeonia lactiflora) (root)..... 40.2 mg
Cang Zhu (Atractylodes lancea) (rhizome)..... 40.2 mg
Fu Ling (Poria cocos) (sclerotium)..... 40.2 mg
Gan Cao (Glycyrrhiza uralensis) (root)..... 32.1 mg
Mu Dan Pi (Paeonia suffructicosa) (root bark)..... 60.3 mg
Zhi Zi (Gardenia jasminoides) (fruit)..... 60.3 mg
Bo He (Mentha haplocalyx) (aerial part).....8.0 mg
Sheng Jiang (Zingiber officinale) (rhizome)..... 13.4 mg
Non Medicinal Ingredients:
Certified organic apple fiber, pullulan/ hypromellose (capsule)
Take 2 capsules, twice a day, better before each meal.
Consult a healthcare practitioner prior to use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Consult a healthcare practitioner if symptoms persist or worsen.